fb twitter yt

Garveys Senior Football Championship Round 1 Round up   17/05/2017

Round 1 Replays

Round 1 Replay

Killarney Legion 2-13 Kenmare Shamrocks 1-15

Kenmare Shamrocks and Legion met for the third time in as many weeks this time in a Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship Round 1 Replay in Fr. Breen Park, Kenmare. The home side raced into 0-4 to 0-0 lead after seven minutes but  Legion got into the game after this and by the sixteenth minute the visitors had the minimum between the sides, Kenmare 0-5 Legion 0-4. In what was another good contest between two evenly matched sides, the half time whistle had the scoreboard reading 0-7 each.

Legion opened the scoring in the second half, a pointed free before Brian O’Sullivan of Kenmare then had the first goal of the game and the intensity and pace of the game went up another notch. Jamie O’Sullivan of Legion hit the back of the net shortly after Kenmare’s goal and the crowd were thinking if extra time might be needed again. Kenmare went 1-10 to 1-09 ahead but another Legion goal from O’Sullivan again put them two up with twelve minutes gone in the half. Credit to the home side they responded again and with eleven minutes left they led 1-13 to 2-09. Legion kicked two consecutive points before a Kenmare point saw the teams deadlocked again with only five minutes of normal time remaining. The visitors outscored the home side by two points to one in the final minutes to prevail on a score line of Legion 2-13 Kenmare Shamrocks 1-15.

Killarney Legion now face Austin Stacks in Round 2A on Friday evening next while Kenmare Shamrocks make the short trip to Templenoe to take on their Local District side in Round 2B where the losers will make their exit from the competition.

Legion scorers: James O’Donoghue 0-9 (0-5 frees) Jamie  O’Sullivan 2-0 Billy Mc Guire 0-02 Conor Keane 0-01 Alan Moriarty 0-01

Kenmare Shamrocks scorers: Sean O’Shea 0-06 (0-04 frees) Brian O’Sullivan 1-01 Paul O’Connor 0-03 Micheál  Mc Carthy 0-02, David Hallissey 0-01, Kevin O’Sullivan and Dara O’Shea 0-01 each.       

Two points win for Austin Stacks over St Kierans in SFC Round 1 Replay

Austin Stacks 0-14           St Kierans 1-9

Austin Stacks had a two point win over St Kieran's in the Round 1 replay of the Senior Football County Championship in front of a large crowd in Scartaglin this evening.The clash lacked the excitement of their first meeting, and it took both sides until midway through the first half to fully get into the match.

David Mannix opened the scoring after he pointed a free for Stacks with five minutes gone on the clock and James Walsh put Kieran's on the board in the eleventh minute after scoring a free, while Tomas Lynch levelled the sides straight from the kick out.

Stacks dominated and led six points to two after scores from David Mannix and Shane O'Callaghan and they got a further boost when a ball deflected off St  Kieran's Padraig Reidy and went over the bar pushing Stacks further ahead. Philip O'Connor stepped up for St Kieran's and scored three important points in the first half to close the gap and Tomas Lynch also slotted over a point for the home side which levelled the scores - six points each at half time.

Both teams displayed better quality football in the second half with O'Donnell and Mannix impressing for Stacks while Philip O'Connor, Shane Fitzmaurice and Dan O' Sullivan were strong for Kieran's. Seamus Scanlon pushed St Kieran's ahead at the beginning of the second half and goalkeeper Sean Óg Ó Ciardubhain gave the home side a two point lead with 33 minutes played when converted a 45. Michael O'Donnell and Pa McCarthy were very impressive for Stacks closing the gap and putting points on the board and the sides were level once again.  Philip O'Connor then found the back of Austin Stacks net after 46 minutes, after an impressive move involving  Dan O'Sullivan, Mike Walsh and Tomas Lynch.

Stacks once again stepped up to the challenge and they dominated for the remainder of the game and excellent play from David Mannix and Michael O'Donnell saw the Tralee side take control. Kieran's had the chance to turn things in their favour in the 57the minute as they were awarded a penalty after a foul on Philip O'Connor. Aidan Breen stepped up to take it but it was saved by Stacks keeper David Hennessy. Stacks remained in control and held their two point lead throughout the four minutes of extra time and they led 14 points to 1-09 when the final whistle blew.

Austin Stacks: David Mannix (0-6), Michael O'Donnell (0-5), Pa McCarthy (0-2), Shane O'Callaghan (0-1).
St Kieran's: Philip O'Connor (1-3), Tomás  Lynch (0-2), James Walsh (0-2), Seamus Scanlon and Sean Óg Ó Ciardubhain (0-1) each.

Austin Stacks will now play the winners of the Round 1 Replay between Kenmare Shamrocks and Killarney Legion  in Round 2A in Connolly Park on Friday evening next at 7:30 while St Kierans will travel to Gallarus to play West Kerry in Round 2B also on Friday evening next at 7:30 with the losers of that game exiting the Championship.

Garveys Senior Football Championship in full swing

Well there was the usual mixed bag when the Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship swung into action last weekend. There were close encounters, a couple of draws, and a few hard luck stories and the good news for the county’s GAA followers is that there is another packed weekend of action coming up.

Pride of place last weekend must surely go to Kerins O’Rahillys who got over the trauma of losing to town rivals Austin Stacks on the previous weekend to record a four points victory over a South Kerry side who admittedly were without the likes of Kerry stars Killian Young and Bryan Sheehan.

If it’s drama you were after then Connolly Park was the place to be as Austin Stacks, inspired by the introduction of Kieran Donaghy, recovered from an eight points interval deficit to force extra time against St Kierans and at the end of an absorbing 80 minutes of football the sides could not be separated.

Feale Rangers certainly gave football in the northern half of the county a badly needed boost when they travelled to Gallarusand came away with a four points victory. Meanwhile, Dingle had a big victory over a depleted Kenmare District side who badly missed the services of the likes of the injured Tadhg Morley and Adrian Spillane.

St Brendans built on their big qualifier win by putting back to back victories together when accounting for Kilcummin in Blennerville and All Ireland champions Dr Crokes, had little difficulty when accounting for Mid Kerry who were forced to line out without Kerry players Darran O’Sullivan and Peter Crowley along with Colin McGillicuddy in Fitzgerald Stadium.

Staying in the eastern side of the county, Rathmore just shaded East Kerry in the big local derby of the weekend at Fitzgerald Stadium and Killarney Legion and Kenmare Shamrocks will have to do it all again following an exciting draw in Dirreen.

Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship 2017 – Round 1 Results (Click down for individual match reports)

Dingle                                   3-16       Kenmare District              2-4

Austin Stacks                     0-16       St.Kierans                             1-13

St Brendan's                       2-17       Kilcummin                           2-14

Killarney Legion                0-15       Kenmare Shamrocks      1-12

Rathmore                            1-12       East Kerry                            1-10

Kerins O'Rahilly's              2-16       South Kerry                        2-12

Feale Rangers                    1-13       West Kerry                         0-12

Dr Crokes                            2-14       Mid Kerry                            0-9

Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship Round 1 Reports

Kerins O'Rahillys             2-16       South Kerry          2-12

A superb second half whilst wind assisted propelled Kerins O'Rahillys into round 2 of the county championship on a score line of 2-16 2-12. SK opened the scoring on 20 secs when Paul O'Donoghue pointed which was quickly cancelled out by Barry John Keane from play; Brendan O'Sullivan then added to the SK tally and on 5 minutes ran 40 yards after fielding the ball in midfield to find the top of the Rahillys net. Worse was to follow from the kick out when SK again won possession and following a good passing move Paul O'Donoghue was on the end of a pass to fire past Garry Kissane in the KO'R goal. Rahillys then reeled off four points without reply , with Barry John Keane unerring from play and frees firing over  3 and Jack Savage 1.  Paul O'Donoghue  replied for SK to leave them ahead 2-3 to 0-6 after 15 minutes.

Barry John Keane again reduced the deficit from a free before quick fire scores from Paul O'Donoghue and Denis Daly had the SK men in front 2-05 to 0-07 on 20 mins. Both sides traded scores from here to the half time whistle to leave the score at 2-8 to 0-10 in favour of SK at the break;- John Ferguson, Karl Mullins and Jack Savage were the scorers for Rahillys with Paul O'Donoghue and Daniel Daly on target for the South Kerry men. Rahillys had 5 wides from the 20th -26th minute and also lost Tommy Walsh to injury prior to half time.

On the resumption, Rahillys pushed on with  good play from David Moran, Ross O'Callaghan & Con Barrett and when John Ferguson goaled on 34 minutes there was the minimum between the sides. This was quickly followed by the equaliser from Gearoid Savage and Rahillys pushed ahead on the 36th minute when Barry John Keane split the posts and for the next 15 minutes Rahillys dominated with scores from wing back Cormac Coffey, BJ Keane again and when Gearoid Savage scrambled the ball home after good work by Con Barrett, Rahillys were 2-14 to 2-08 ahead. Remarkably SK did not get their first score of the second half until the 19th minute. SK added a further 3 points but the home side were not to be denied for a fine win.

Scorers : Kerins O'Rahillys: Barry John Keane ( 0-7), John Ferguson ( 1-3), Gearoid Savage ( 1-1), Jack Savage ( 0-2), Karl Mullins , Cormac Coffey & Padraig Griffin 0-1 each.

South Kerry: Paul O'Donoghue (1-6), Brendan O'Sullivan ( 1-1), Daniel Daly ( 0-02), Graham O'Sullivan, Niall O'Shea, Denis Daly, (0-1 each) .

West Kerry 0-12 to 1-13 Feale Rangers

Played in sunny but windy Gallarus on Sunday afternoon it was the visitors who went home happy after an opening win in the Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Senior Football Championship on a score of West Kerry 0-12 to 1-13 Feale Rangers.

Feale Rangers were first to score after Anthony Maher made a run through the heart of the West Kerry defence and when he offloaded the ball to Padraig Quille, Quille fired to the West Kerry net giving keeper Tomás Mac an tSaoir no chance. West Kerry were rattled and considering that they were playing with the aid of the gale it was not the start that they envisaged.

West Kerry responded with points from play for Donnacha Higgins and Jason Hickson but Anthony Maher kicked a point from play for Feale Rangers shortly after. Points from Declan O’Sullivan, Dara Ó Sé, Seán Micheál Ó Conchuir and Dara Ó Sé again gave West Kerry a two point lead but Feale Rangers responded with points from Padraig Quille and a Conor Cox free to level the game. Two more points from Jason Hickson and Dara Ó Sé put West Kerry two up again but a Conor Cox pointed free for Feale Rangers just before the break left them only one behind. When Referee Seán Joy blew the half time whistle the scoreboard read, West Kerry 0-8 to Feale Rangers 1-4

Conor Cox opened the scoring for Feale Rangers with a point from play to level the game but Cian Ó Murchú scored a point from play for West Kerry to restore their lead. Bryan Sweeney levelled the game for Feale Rangers with a point from play and David Foran put them one ahead with another  point from play. Seán Micheál Ó Conchuir levelled the game for West Kerry with a point from a free kick but a Conor Cox pointed free and a Padraig Quille point from play restored Feale Rangers lead with about 15 minutes left to play.

Conor Cox kicked two points from play to extend Feale Rangers lead to four points and a  Dara Ó Sé point from play for West Kerry was quickly cancelled out with another Conor Cox point from a free kick for Feale Rangers and with 5 minutes left to play Feale Rangers were a goal and a point to the good. Seán Micheál Ó Conchuir kicked a point from a free kick for West Kerry to leave them a goal behind. West Kerry went in search of that vital goal but the Feale Rangers defence stood firm and when the ball broke down field it was Conor Cox with a point from play that sealed victory for Feale Rangers. When Referee Seán Joy blew the full time whistle the scoreboard read, West Kerry 0-12 to Feale Rangers 1-13.

West Kerry: Tomás Mac an tSaoir, Brian Ó Beaglaoich, Cathal Ó Lúing, Colm Ó Muircheartaigh, Pádraig Ó Sé, Cian Ó Murchú (0-1), Gareth Noonan, Robeárd Ó Sé, Donnacha Higgins (0-1), Eanna Ó Conchúir, Dara Ó Sé (0-4), Jason Hickson (0-2), Seán Micheál Ó Conchúir (0-3, 3fr), Declan O Sullivan (0-1), James Crean . Fir Ionaid: Antoin Kelliher, PJ Mac Láimh, Tomás Ó Sé, Tom Kavanagh

Feale Rangers: Keith Hughes, Niall Collins, Jack McGuire, Shane Stack, Ger Mc Carrigg, Pat Corridan, Maurice Corridan, Anthony Maher (0-1), Damien Somers, Cormac Mulvihill, David Foran(0-1), Eoin O'Connell, Padraig Quille (1-2), Conor Cox (0-8, 4fr), Bryan Sweeney (0-1)

Rathmore 1-12                  East Kerry 1-10

Rathmore edged out East Kerry in a fast moving, exciting game in Round 1 of the Garveys SuperValu County Senior Football Championship, played in Fitzgerald Stadium on Sunday evening. East Kerry started the stronger and had 0-3 on the board within 4 minutes. Dara Roche pointed in the opening minute and followed with a second point from play in the second minute. The third point from Ronan Buckley. Rathmore had scoring chances in that time but the East Kerry defense worked hard and defended strongly. Mark Reen opened Rathmore’s account with a pointed free on the the 6th minute. East Kerry replied with 2 points from placed balls, Dara Roche and Paudie Clifford on target to leave them 0-5 to 0-1 ahead with 15 minutes played.

It was it for tat, and Rathmore reduced the deficit to a single score with Mark Reen(2) and Shane Ryan(2) pointing and  Dara Roche(3) for East Kerry. A Rathmore goal levelled the game on the 28th minute. A short kick out by East Kerry and a mix-up in their defence was capitalised on by  George O’Keeffe who snuck in for a well taken goal 0-8 to 1-5. A Shane Ryan point in the last minute gave Rathmore the lead by the minumum at the break. Rathmore 1-6 East Kerry 0-8.  


On the restart, the game continued at pace. The sides traded points, Rathmores Shane Ryan pointed  a free and Padraig de Brún a point from play. East Kerry pressed forward only to be denied scores by a strong Rathmore defence.  Two substitutions for East Kerry, Dara Moynihan and Jeff O’Donoghue, brought fresh impetus to the attack and East Kerry continued to press forward. The divisional side were in poor luck when a rasper of a shot came off the cross bar. With Jack Sherwood and Liam Kearney doing well at mid field East Kerry’s Jeff O’Donoghue and Dara Moynihan set up an attack and  Dara Roche  rattled the Rathmore net with a shot, low to the corner on the 42nd minute, despite the attentions of 3 Rathmore defenders. Jeff O’Donoghue extended the East Kerry lead with a point from play – 1-10 to 1-07 going into the last quarter.

Rathmore introduced Aidan O’Mahony, who steadied the ship and shortly after Rathmore capitalised on a turn over ball with a Shane Ryan point from play.  Despite a number of attacks, with both defences strong, neither side scored in the next 5 minutes. Both sides made a number of substitutions as Rathmore brough on Conor Jenkins while East Kerry brought on Fintan Coffey and David Clifford. The game turned in Rathmores favour for the next 8 minutes. Paul Murphy made a surging run forward and won a free, which Shane Ryan put over the bar, reducing the gap to the minimum. George  O’Keeffe levelled the game, 1-10 a piece, with a great point from distance with eight minutes of normal time remaining, setting up a exciting finale to the game. 

Rathmore now dominated matters. Brian Friel came on for Rathmore and Shane Ryan put the Rathbeg side ahead with a point from play. After a penetrating run forward, Mike Joe Kelliher fisted the ball over the bar to extend the Rathmore lead. With the clock ticking down, East Kerry brought on Michael O’Donoghue and Con O’Mahony. With a minute remaining, East Kerry sent the ball into the edge of the square, and a last minute reprieve looked on the cards. David Clifford rose high and, despite being surrounded by a number of defenders, sent a fisted the ball goalwards, only to be denied by the upright. The experienceof the Rathmore side showed as they played down the clock, to progress to the round 2A on a final scoreline of Rathmore 1-12 East Kerry 1-10.

Rathmore are at home to Feale Rangers in Round 2A on Saturday 21 May while East Kerry play Mid Kerry in round 2B on Sunday 22 May in Lewis Road at 3.45pm

East Kerry team: Colin Myers(Fossa), Darren Brosnan (Gneevguilla), Matt Moynihan (Spa), DJ Murphy (Gneeveguilla), Shane Cronin (Spa), Dan O’Donoghue  (Spa), Daniel O’Brien (Glenflesk) , Liam Kearney (Spa), Jack Sherwood (Capt) (Firies), Paudie Clifford (Fossa) (0-1f), Padraig de Brún( Firies) (0-1),  Ronan Buckley (Listry) (0-1), Evan Cronin (Spa), Stephen Foley (Firies), Dara RocheGlenflesk (Vice Capt)(1-6;2f) Subs: Dara Moynihan(Spa) for Evan Cronin, Jeff O’Donoghue (Glenflesk) (0-1) for Ronan Buckley, David Clifford(Fossa) for Padraig de Brún, Fintan Coffey(Fossa) for Stephen Foley, Michael O'Donoghue (Spa) for  Paudie Clifford, Con O'Mahony (Firies) for Dara Roche(inj)

Rathmore team: Kenneth O'Keeffe, Mike Joe Kelleher(0-1), Brendan O'Keeffe (Capt), T J Friel, Daniel O'Sullivan, Conor O’Sullivan, Brian O'Leary, Donal O'Sullivan, Mark Ryan, Mark Reen(0-3),  Paul Murphy, George O’Keeffe (1-1), Shane Ryan (0-7;1f), Eoin Lawlor, John Moynihan. Subs: Aidan O'Mahony for Eoin Lawlor, Dean Fitzgerald for Mark Reen, Brian Friel for Conor O'Sullivan, Brian Moynihan for George O'Keeffe

Referee: Seamus Mulvihill (St Senans)

Killarney Legion 0-15 Kenmare Shamrocks 1-12 

Both sets of supporters of these two sides certainly got their nerves well and truly tested in this tense and absorbing 1st.rd.game played in Derreen on Sunday afternoon.The football may not have been of the highest standard at times but the closeness of the encounter and the seesaw nature of the scoring made it compulsive viewing. If the Legion were to overturn their club championship defeat to the same opposition then they would have to limit Stephen O’Brien and Sean O’Shea's influence and this they did with Chris Davies doing a fine man marking job on O’Brien and Darragh Doherty holding up his end. One problem though was the concession of frees which led to O’Shea notching 6 from dead ball chances. Legion captain Danny Sheahan had a tremendous game on Paul O’Connor and overall the Legion backs did well. The Kenmare defence also stood out  in which Dara Crowley and Sean O Sullivan were no less effective and this was the springboard for much of their attacks.

The first half was especially tense as reflected by the halftime score which saw the Legion go in ahead by 4pts.to 3. What could have been a critical moment for the Legion was the awarding of a penalty just on the stroke of halftime as Jamie O’Sullivan smartly turned Dara O’Shea and was hauled down just as he was about to shoot. Up stepped James O’Donoghue but his low shot was turned away one handed by Kieran Fitzgibbon in the Kenmare goal. Crucially the same player brought off another timely stop midway through the second half when Tom Moriarty bore down on goal but again was denied by the keeper.

The second period was far more fluid as both sides went for it and the scoring rate increased as a consequence. While O’Shea was Kenmare's scorer in chief Jamie O’Sullivan was his equal as he hit 4 minors and became more and more of a problem for the Shamrocks. James O’Donoghue also made a telling contribution as he bagged 5 pts.for his side. As the clocked ticked into Injury time it looked like the Legion had nicked it as Finbar Murphy cooly slooted over after good work by O’Donoghue but in a last gasp sally O’Shea levelled from 40m. to send the game to extra time.

Kenmare sprung from the traps at the very start of extra time as sub Kevin Price struck for a goal after 40 seconds and it could have been a fatal blow for the home side but keeping their cool they gradually chipped away at the deficit and points from Cian Gammell, Jonathan Lyne and Conor Keane levelled matters to live to fight another day.

On the positive side the Legion created goal chances, they had a sound defence, and in adversity kept cool and were rewarded for that. The replay on Sunday next in Kenmare will  no doubt be another tense and tight affair as these two sides continue their trilogy.

Dr Crokes            2-14                       Mid Kerry            0-9

Reigning champions Dr Crokes got their 2017 campaign off to the perfect start when they had an 11 points victory over a Mid Kerry side who had to lineout without injury victims Darran O’Sullivan, Colin McGillicuddy and Peter Crowley.

Crokes got the perfect start when after Liam Carey opened the scoring for Mid Kerry, Colm Cooper hit 1-3 on the trot in reply and Crokes led by 1-5 to 0-3 after fifteen minutes of play with Donnchadh Walsh contributing to the Mid Kerry tally. The Killarney side went on to lead by 1-8 to 0-5 at the break. Liam Carey again opened the scoring for the second half for Mid Kerry but after Kieran O’Leary got Crokes second goal in the 38th minute the writing was on the wall for the Divisional side and Crokes went on to lead by 2-11 to 0-6 at the three quarter stage befoire the sides ahared three points apiece in the remaining time.

Austin Stacks 0-16 St. Kierans 1-13 (aet)

Level at the end of normal time (0-14 to 1-11) both sides could still not be separated at the end of extra time in this first round of the Garveys Supervalu Co. Senior Football Championship played in Connolly Park on this Saturday evening (13th May).

Kierans got off to a blistering start and were 1-3 to no score ahead after 12 minutes. Their first score came after just 25 seconds when centre-back, Eamon Kiely raced up field and put over. Thomas Hickey then added two more (the first of which could have been a goal). But the goal did come in the 8th minute when good work by Daniel Murphy and Thomas again was finished to the net by Vinney Horan.

Vinney’s name-sake, Greg opened the home side’s account in the 12th minute, followed a minute later by a David Mannix free. But Kierans pressed on from there, scoring five more points without reply (two Philip O’Connor frees and one each from play by Thomas Hickey, James Walsh and Daniel Murphy) to leave them nine points ahead after 20 minutes. Two more Stacks’ points followed in the 22nd and 26th minutes, with Michael O’Donnell on target from play and another David Mannix free, before James Walsh got the last score of the half, courtesy of a 28th free, to leave his side ahead at half time by eight points (1-9 to 0-4).

Kieran Donaghy, who didn’t start as a result of a niggling injury picked up in the game against Strand Road two weeks ago, was introduced at the start of the second half and he made a major impact for the rest of the game.  During the first 21 minutes of the second half Stacks had wiped out Kierans 8 points half time lead while holding the opposition scoreless as well during this period – David Mannix (4 pts – two from frees), Jack Morgan, Michael O’Donnell, Greg Horan and Shane O’Callaghan scoring Stacks eight points. Kierans cause was not helped when their influential corner forward, Thomas Hickey had to retire with an injury just four minutes after the resumption. The visitors first score on this half came in the 55th minute from another James Walsh free, to be followed within seconds by one from play by Adam Barry.  But Stacks responded with two late points from David Mannix (one from a free) to send the game to extra time.

Kierans shaded the opening half of extra time, scoring two points from play by substitutes Mike McCarthy and Tom McGoldrick while Stacks only contribution came from another David Mannix free, to leave Kierans ahead by one (1-13 to 0-15) at the extra time interval.

Thirty eight seconds after the resumption David Mannix pointed another free, following a foul on Kieran Donaghy to level the game for the third and, as it turned out, final time. Understandably with both sides tiring, that was the only score of that second half and the sides must meet again, probably next weekend, to decide the outcome.  

Team: David Hennessy, Barry Walsh, Fearghal MacNamara, Ronan Shanahan, Pa McCarthy, Denis McElligott, Jack O’Shea, Shane Carroll, Wayne Guthrie, Fiachna Mangan, Greg Horan (0-2), Michael O’Donnell (0-2), David Mannix (0-10 – seven frees), Shane O’Callaghan (Capt) (0-1), Darragh O’Brien.

Subs used: Jack Morgan (16m) (0-1), Kieran Donaghy (ht), Seán Dukes (42m), Mikey Collins (52m), Alan Duggan (54m), John Dennis (66m), David O’Sullivan (75m).

St. Kierans: Seán Óg Ó Ciardubháin (Cordal), John O’Connor (Currow), Dan Sullivan (Currow), Shane Fitzmaurice (Brosna), Michael Walsh (Knocknagoshel), Eamon Kiely (Brosna) (0-1), Timmy Finnegan (Brosna), Seamus Scanlon (Currow)Capt. , James Walsh (Knocknagoshel) (0-3 two frees), Daniel Murphy (Scartaglin) (0-1), Philip O’Connor (Cordal) (0-2 frees), Aidan Breen (Ballymac), Thomas Hickey (Desmonds) (0-3), Vinney Horan (Ballymac) (1-0), Thomas Lynch (Desmonds).

Subs used: Bryan Lenord (Desmonds), Adam Barry (Brosna) (0-1), Mike Finnegan (Brosna), Mike McCarthy (Currow) (0-1), Tom McGolderick (Brosna) (0-1).

St Brendans        2-17       Kilcummin 2-14

St Brendans advanced to Round 2 winners group of the Garveys SFC with a three points victory over Kilcummin at Blennerville on Saturday evening. It was tit for tat in the opening stages before a high delivery by Ivan Parker was punched to the net by Diarmuid Herlighy to put Brendans 1-4 to 0-5 in the lead. Soon after Eoghan O’Brien saved at point blank range to deny Kilcummin’s Donal Maher a goal and at the break it was 1-5 to 0-7 for the home-side who were now turning to play with the wind.

With Kevin McCarthy on target for the visitors the sides were level on three occasions at the early stages of the second half before Ivan Parker got St Brendans second goal to put his side 2-9 to 0-10 ahead. With Ivan Parker, Jack Barry and Brandon Barrett to the fore, St Brendans went on to lead by 8 points with five minutes on the clock before Matt Keane finished to the net to give Kilcummin a lifeline. The visitors did get a dsecond goal but Daniel Moynihan’s effort was a case of too little too late to affect the result.

Dingle 3-16         Kenmare District 2-4

Dingle had little difficulty in defeating Kenmare District – last year’s beaten county finalists but this year playing without the Kenmare club – at Templenoe on Saturday evening. The District side were also missing some key players through injury and exams including county players Tadhg Morley and Adrian Spillane, along with John Mark Foley and Darragh Siochru.

Kenmare District  were first off the mark with a goal from Killian Spillane in the 6th minute soon followed by a point from the same player but after Conor Geaney opened the visitor’s account, Paul Geaney found the net to give Dingle a 1-3 to 1-1 lead by the 20th minute. Michael and Paul Geaney added further points but Pat Spillane struck for the homeside’s second goal in the 25th minute and at the break it was 1-5 to 2-1 for the clubside.

Conor Geaney again opened the scoring for Dingle on the resumption and Matthew Flaherty added another before a goal from Conor Geaney and a Michael Geaney point had the visitors 2-8 to 2-1 ahead at the 38th minute. Killian Spillane pointed in the 41st minute for his side’s first score of the second half but then Paul Geaney struck for his second goal to put Dingle 3-10 to 2-2 ahead at the three quarter stage. With the three Geaneys in superb form Dingle added on the points to eventually win by a fifteen points margin

Click Here for the Round 2 Draw and Fixtures